9.09.2013

My first...

For some time now I am hooked in tying various types of knots and trying to make something pretty and functional at the same time from various rope types.
For that new passion I "blame" my "brothers by interests" from my "home forum"
Survival forum Croatia , Croatian forum full of fantastic girls and guys who does not just talk about bushcraft, survival, knives and various gadgets and equipment, but try to practice that kind of life, enjoying the nature and its gifts to us, making beautiful items from wood, metal (fantastic knives) by their own hands, testing the various equipment, sharing their experience and knowledge, ...

Since I have two beautiful young daughters my nature exploration is now catted to long walks not too far from home , and short trips in to "wild" with my family. I just  hope that some of that love for nature and exploration of it, will still stay in them when they grow up.

So playing with knots and ropes  is kind of "staying connected" with "survival community", and I found great joy in it since the product (however unperfect) of my hands is tangible.

I am still in learning curve but it is much easier to learn something these days (thanks to global connection) especially with so many good people willing to share their knowledge.

That said I have to mention Stormdrane's blog and his great, great work and willing to share its knowledge and experience ,and of course J.D.Lenzen and his Fusionknots  site together with "Tying it all together"   You tube channel.

Those two are great inspiration and example how great things can be made from something so simple as,  plain rope...

Their projects are mainly made of paracord as material, so I will try to follow that path although it is hard to find it (in all colors and sizes).
If anyone knows good (cheap but not China) site from which I can buy them (shipping to Croatia) with reasonably shipping cost, please let me know.

Of course (I hope) that with more knowledge and experience I will try myself in other rope materials too.


So here it is. "My first"...

Of course it had to be "Survival" bracelet (Solomon bar stitch) , because everyone else is doing it and it is easy to follow instructions from internet, so it is very good practice project.


My first "survival" bracelet :)


After I made first one i had to make another one, because my younger daughter wanted one too...
My second one...

  

On the second one I tried the different knot for "button", so called Lanyard knot .

  
My daughters were happy and so do I. It took me some time and effort, just enough to stay "hooked"
 As You can see that is not paracord, just some plain soft peace of rope which my wife gave to me for "playing" :)









Of course, what is the master without proper tools. So for my first project I made myself a JIG.  This is the first one and it is still in use since the "proper one" is still in progress...

It is just peace of plain board with two nails driven in to it. But it works !

My JIG


That's it for now. Hope that You like it :)




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.